Getting from Pudong International Airport (PVG) to Baoshan Cruise Terminal
There are multiple options to get from the Pudong International Airport (PVG) to the Baoshan cruise ship terminal. These include cruise line bus transfer, private shuttle bus, private town car, taxi, and car rental. Below are the costs of the various modes of transportation between Baoshan cruise ship terminal and the Pudong International Airport (PVG), and some helpful advice for your consideration about each option. Check out all the transportation options - you might be surprised about which mode of transport between the Baoshan cruise ship terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG) is the best value. Money exchange rates between USD and CNY will vary.
If you plan to extend your trip and to take any form of public transportation, it is recommended that you purchase a Shanghai Public Transportation Card. It can be used for most taxes, buses, tourist buses, long-distance buses, subway lines, maglev trains, and ferries. There are over 2.000 agencies in Shanghai selling the cards including the subway stations, Shanghai Pudong Devolpement Bank (SPD), Bank of Communicatins, Buddies CVS and Kedi CVS. You can buy a card with a deposit of CNY 20 ($3.04 USD) and add value as needed in multiples of CNY 10 ($1.52 USD).
At Pudong Airport
Shanghai Pudong Development Bank - between Gate 10 and Gate 12 in the International Arrival area
Bank of China - between Gate 15 and Gate 16 in the International Departure area
Industrial & Commercial Bank of China - between Gate 12 and Gate 14 in the International Departure area
China Citic Bank - between Gate 4 & Gate 5 in Domestic Departure area
Taking a Taxi Cab between Baoshan Cruise Ship Terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG)
Taking a taxi cab between the Pudong International Airport (PVG) and Baoshan cruise ship terminal is in my opinion, the best choice other than the cruise line shuttle. Although somewhat more expensive than in other Asian cities, taxis in Shanghai (Baoshan) are still inexpensive compared to their Western counterparts. Taxi services are reliable, and efficient form of transportation in Baoshan, but here are a few tips that will definitely help:
- Try to have the address written in Chinese characters. Few, if any taxi drivers speak English. If this isn't possible, have the location marked on a map you can show the driver. Try to get the nearest intersection to your destination as well, as sometimes the addresses are useless.
- Taxis are metered - the rate is set, and there is no bargaining. (If the driver forgets to set the meter - remind him)
- Daytime prices are CNY 12 ($1.82 USD) for the first 3 kilometers (1.9 miles), with an additional charge of CNY 2.4 ($0.36 USD) for every succeeding kilometer - up to 10 kilometers (6.2 miles), and CNY 3.6 ($0.54 USD)for every kilometer over 10. (note: the charge will be rounded when you pay)
- Night fees (11 pm to 5 am) increase to CNY 16 ($2.43 USD) for the first 3 kilometers, with the additional fees of CNY 3.1 $0.47 USD), and CNY 4.1 ($0.62 USD). It is permissable to bargain for price during the night time hours. (note: the charge will be rounded when you pay)
- Best and most reliable cabs are going to be sky blue or orange in color.
- For an idea of your driver's experience, which does help assure less errors and possible increases in cost, there are two things to remember... First, look at your driver's taxi ID card. The greater the ID number, the newer the driver. Then, check the stars below the drivers photograph on the dashboard in front of the passenger seat. The number of stars you see on your driver's taxi ID card equates experience. However, remember that it takes time to build up the number of stars. Don't panic if your driver doesn't have one. Just have him assure you that he knows where you want to go.
Taking the Cruise Line transfer between Baoshan Cruise Ship Terminal and International Airport
This is the most stress free method of transfer if offered. A benefit of cruise line transfers is that they watch your flight for delays. Within reason, they may delay the departure of the ship if your flight is late. Take advantage of this option if possible.
Taking a Shared Private Shuttle between Baoshan Cruise Ship Terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG)
Generally, shared private shuttles (i.e.: Super Shuttle) between between the Pudong International Airport (PVG) and Baoshan cruise ship terminal are only economical (versus the cruise-line provided transportation) if you have a larger group. You can reserve for a van for 8 people for approximately $120 USD, and they will take you directly to the port.
Taking a Rental Car between Baoshan Cruise Ship Terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG)
Driving in China is not advised. The streets are extremely crowded and traffic is irregular. It is very easy to get lost and parking is difficult. However, there are many rental car companies with locations at the airport and near the Baoshan cruise terminal. You can get a rental car between the Baoshan Cruise Ship Terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG) for 800 CNY (121 USD).
Taking a Town Car between Baoshan Cruise Ship Terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG)
A chauffeur-driven town car between Baoshan cruise ship terminal and Pudong International Airport (PVG) can be stress-free option, and actually quite reasonable for larger groups. You do ride in a nicer vehicle and don't have to bother with waiting for other people to board. For 4 people going between the airport and cruise ship terminal, this is as economical per person as the taxi option. Larger vechicles are available for an additional charge for larger parties. However, we suggest reserving your town car well in advance!
Taking a Public Bus
Baoshan's public buses are incredibly crowded. There will be few if any instructions in English and it is easy to get lost.